As the founder of The Empress Within, I am painfully aware of the problems that plague today’s spiritual, holistic and self-improvement industries.
These issues include:
- A lack of diversity, with these industries being dominated by white, affluent, heterosexual women who lack cultural competency and often create exclusionary content (ie, “how to manifest a boyfriend” rather than “a partner,” with the assumption that all women are heterosexual) and even, willingly or not, make their spaces feel unwelcoming and unsafe to BIPOC and LGBT+ people.
- Toxic positivity, or the idea that having any kind of negative emotion or going through difficulties makes you have “bad vibes,” hence isolating people or pressuring them to invalidate themselves or be in denial about their difficulties.
- Cultural appropriation: self-proclaimed teachers, often white, stealing concepts, practices, and other attributes from indigenous cultures and passing them as their own, even making a profit off of teaching them to others.
- Unethical behavior: breaking confidentiality, engaging in shady business practices and scams, teaching and distributing untested alternative methods and remedies that can be ineffective and endanger someone’s health (for instance, discouraging someone from getting therapy and telling them to meditate instead).
- Alt-right tendencies: Weaving racist misogynistic, homophobic and/or otherwise discriminatory content in what look like holistic teachings, and feeding into conspiracy theories that serve patriarchy and white supremacy.
While it can be disheartening to find so many people and businesses being a part of this problem, associating spiritual and holistic wellness to it even further, I am determined to make a difference by running The Empress Within from an ethical place where diversity, inclusion, and social justice are prioritized.
It goes without saying that The Empress Within stands firmly for the following:
Black Lives Matter. Science is real. No human is illegal. Love is love. Women’s rights are human rights. Kindness is everything.
These are our unwavering, non-negotiable beliefs.
I also pledge to use my privilege, voice, and platform to support those who have less privilege.
I am proud to offer a scholarship program, in which women and people from underprivileged backgrounds and those who are encountering any kind of adversity (abuse, neglect, homelessness, physical and mental health problems, etc.) can apply to receive select Empress Within courses and programs at a discounted cost or, in some cases, for free. To learn more about this, click here.
As this company and platform grows, I look forward to many more opportunities to empower more women, to give back to my community, to stand up for social justice, to use my reach to promote diversity, and to explore more ways to make our countries and the world a better place with more equality and justice for everyone.
In the meantime, I pledge to continue educating myself on important matters, to practice cultural competency, to amplify BIPOC and LGBT+ voices, and to prioritize diversity, inclusivity, and social justice.